(If you’re reading this, then you’re on the new site. Congratulations. 😉 )
After hosting my websites with Total Choice Hosting (TCH from here on) for more than eight years, I’ve been forced to move them. The issue: lost e-mails.
A few months ago, a friend of mine called to ask if I’d gotten his e-mails. I hadn’t. When we ran some tests, his e-mails got through to me with no problem, so I dismissed it as a fluke.
Last week, one of the developers I work with asked me about a case that he’d assigned me the day before. The company’s case management software normally sends me an e-mail notification when a case is assigned to me. We tested it, and none of its notification messages are getting through.
I went through TCH’s ticket system, but after a week, the problem still wasn’t resolved. Worse, I discovered that messages from the billing company I use weren’t getting through either. I was already late on one bill payment because of that, so now I owed a late fee in addition to the time I’d already lost to this problem.
I’ve been relatively happy with TCH for all this time, and I realize that e-mail problems are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot, but an e-mail account that can’t receive messages is useless to me. I would rather have hundreds of spam messages get through than have one valid message blocked.
TCH will fix the problem eventually, and once they do I’ll be happy to recommend them again, but I can’t wait for them any longer. I spent this morning moving the site to its new host, and now I’m just be waiting for the DNS records to be updated (which should be done in a couple days). I may come back to TCH in the future, because for the most part I’ve had very good experiences with them, but for now I’m outta here.